May 4, 2011

A quote on Catholicism from my letter to the pope

"For I am not so enamored of my own opinions that I disregard what others may think of them. I am aware that a philosopher’s ideas are not subject to the judgment of ordinary persons, because it is his endeavor to seek the truth in all things, to the extent permitted to human reason by God. Yet I hold that completely erroneous views should be shunned. Those who know that the consensus of many centuries has sanctioned the conception that the earth remains at rest in the middle of the heaven as its center would, I reflected, regard it as an insane pronouncement if I made the opposite assertion that the earth moves."
    –Nicholas Copernicus, De revolutionibus orbium coelestium, dedicatory letter to Pope Paul III (1543)

    Neither my system nor the system of Galileo's is in violation of the bible. Funny thing is, my system was brought to Pope Clement VII and he approved of it and actually urged me to publish it. I was a Canon in the Catholic church and I often referred to God in my works. My work never violated anything stated in the bible. If Galileo built off my work, surely he did not violate the bible.


    3 comments:

    1. Very politic quote you have there!
      You should look into the introduction of the Gregorian calendar and the controversy that caused.
      Also, I love the graphics. What image is that?

      ReplyDelete
    2. Check this out:
      http://www.youtube.com/user/historyteachers#p/u/52/-ELespEc0YE

      ReplyDelete