May 15, 2011

On the Revolutions of Heavenly Spheres

I praise Galileo on his bravery to publish his work. I published this book with the help of my pupil Georg Joachim Rheticus in 1543  the same year of my death, in fear of persecution like Galileo. I refused to publish earlier because of fear  of contempt and persecution from the catholic church. Also, I was a perfectionist. I always thought that my observations were always in need of  verification. Upon publication, protestants attacked my theories, claiming that a heliocentric universe was unbiblicial. When Rheticus took control of the publication, My revolutions fell into the hands of Andreas Osiander, a Lutheran theologian. He made many alterations without my knowledge. This man edited my work and lied to me even when I was on my death bed.  They were unable to accept that they were not the masters of nature, but just part of a natural order. Accepting a heliocentric universe was a great demand made towards society.

No comments:

Post a Comment